With the WA Building Commission and Local Councils working hard to ensure limestone retaining walls are built to engineering standards, it pays to employ a professional company with experienced Stone Masons to avoid future headache caused by poor workmanship.
We have been building licenced, engineered limestone retaining walls in Perth since 2004.
Did you know all structural limestone retaining walls and screen walls, that are 500mm high or greater, require a building licence? This is to ensure that the wall is constructed to building standards and is designed to meet the criteria of the Residential Design Codes.
So what role does your local council play in this?
All building works needs to be submitted to your local council, firstly as a Development Application, and secondly for a Building Permit.
The Planning Department ensures your Development Application meets all the criteria of the Residential Design Codes. Once you have this approval, you can apply for a Building Permit.
Your local council employs Building Surveyors who ensure that your Building Permit Application meets all of the relevant building codes and also has a signed Engineering Detail specific to your works.
It pays to employ a professional to design your wall and submit your Council Application.
Building Licences are attained through your local council. Northshore Landscape Construction provides a wall design service, where we draft your plans, including detailed elevation drawings required by your local council.
We have been providing this service in Perth since 2004 and are very well educated on what will and what won’t be accepted by your Local Authority.
- We meet with you onsite and discuss your requirements.
- We will also advise you at this meeting if your design would be acceptable by your local council.
- We draft your plans.
- Once the plans are drawn to council specifications (taking into account all of the Residential Design Codes), we send them to you for final sign off.
- We submit and manage your Development Application with your local council.
- The Engineering detail is produced by our Structural Engineer.
- The Engineer will draw an Engineering Detail specific to your wall.
- The Engineering Detail shows all components required for construction, including footings, reo bar reinforcing and how much of the wall needs to be embedded (built below ground).
- Once we have the signed engineering, we can provide you with a fixed price quote for the construction of your limestone wall or limestone screen wall.
- As your local council requires a site survey (by a licenced surveyor) we will arrange this service for you (if necessary).
- If your home is a new build, the survey used by your builder for construction is acceptable.
- Lodgement and management of your Building Licence Application with your local authority.
• Construction of your limestone retaining wall or limestone screen wall, once we have the relevant permits.
To build a certified, licenced limestone screen wall or limestone retaining wall in Perth, click here to view our Wall Design Packages.